In today’s world, Credit Cards have become an essential financial tool for most individuals. Whether it’s for making purchases, booking travel tickets, or building a credit history, Credit Cards offer convenience and flexibility. However, it can be challenging to figure out how to obtain one. With so many Credit Card options available, it is important to understand the basic steps involved in getting a Credit Card in 2023.
Steps to Get A Credit Card
Credit Cards have become quite a common phenomenon in today’s world. Whether you own a Credit Card or are planning to get a new one, below are a few things you should consider.
Check the Credit Score
One of the most important things to consider while getting a Credit Card is checking your eligibility. Most Credit Card providers often check your credit history before providing the card. This gives them a brief insight into how regular you are going to be with the payment schedule.
You can check your consumer credit report and all the available data. There are various free service providers that will help you check your credit score. If you want to get a Credit Card, you must try and maintain a credit score of 700 and above.
Compare the Options
Comparison is one of the best ways to shop for anything in 2023. When you compare the offers, you will get an idea of what suits your needs the most. When choosing a Credit Card, some of the major things to compare are as follows:
- Eligibility: The eligibility criteria for every card are different. Comparing will give you the flexibility to choose a card you are eligible for.
- Annual fees: The cost of maintaining the cards is important.
- Annual Percentage Rate (APR): While some cards have an introductory 0% APR, for others, it will be different.
- Rewards: Credit Card rewards can play an essential role in saving money in terms of reward points and cashback. However, there are plenty of exceptions. Some cards also offer rewards in terms of branded merchants.
- Benefits: Some Credit Cards offer a wide range of supplemental benefits like purchase protection, an extended warranty, rental car insurance, and travel insurance.
Comparing these options will help you figure out which card suits your needs the best. You must focus on the features that will help you save money.
Type of Credit Card You Want
Choosing the right Credit Card comes down to understanding which one caters to all your demands. Some of the prime factors you must consider to make the choice are:
- Starter Credit Card – if it is your first time
- Rebuilding the bad credit – secured Credit Card
- Making everyday purchases – Credit Cards that provide various rewards
- A business owner – Credit Card offering rewards only for business owners
In the early phases, it is advisable to choose a Credit Card suitable for you to get a low Credit Card bill. If you are a frequent spender, you must consider choosing a Credit Card that will give you rewards. For this purpose, you must analyse your spending category and make a choice accordingly.
Know the Features of Credit Card
In order to get a Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years of age. To choose a Credit Card best suited to you, you should know its features. The features of every Credit Card will be different. While some provide excessive travel benefits, others may offer shopping credits. Make sure to analyse the features of Credit Cards and check what aligns with your shopping and spending habits the most. It is advisable to choose a Credit Card that offers maximum benefits.
Fill out the Application Form
Once the initial stages of comparison are done, you must switch to filling out the application form. The application form-filling process will also take some time, especially when it comes to approval. As the applicant for the Credit Card, you must comply with all the rules and regulations.
Submit the Documents
After filling out the application form, the applicant must submit the relevant documents to get a Credit Card. As the applicant, you need to submit residential proof, ID proof, income proof, or any other document asked by the issuer.
If you are a salaried employee, you may need to submit the following documents:
- Salary certificate
- Salary slips
- Employment Offer Letter
If you are a self-employed professional, you may need to submit the following documents:
- Bank Statement
- Income Tax Return Statement
- Certified Financials
How to Get a Credit Card without a Credit History?
If you do not have a credit history, it means that you don’t own a Credit Card. So, if you are getting a Credit Card for the first time, you need to follow the same process as above. You must consider reaching out to the bank or Credit Card issuer to help you get a Credit Card. It is advisable to consider all the factors and features and shop around a bit before making a decision.